Re: SPARC64 & SPARC binutils

** Reply to message from matthew green <mrg@cygnus.com> on Sun, 07 Jan 2001
14:49:04 +1100

> what problem are you seeing?  i've using the sparc64 binutils for some years
> now and since 2.10 or so, i've not had a problem i can recall.  binutils 2.10
> is distributed with NetBSD/sparc64 1.5.. the only bug reports against the
> toolchain i've seen logged are compiler ones (not surprising as gcc is the
> major problem with sparc64 today).

Maybe what I'm having is a configuration problem...

First, I'm building a cross tools package to go to a custom SPARC_V9 box, using
a SUSE 7,Linux Intel host

When I configure for 'sparc-elf', no problem, except that I generate
'elf32-sparc' output files, and I can't generate any sparc-V9 specific code, or
files.

When I configure for 'sparc64-elf', things generate fine, except that make
check fails myserably... and code that is generated (which DOES allow sparc-V9
ops), won't load in the target, and processing them on the host (like, say,
objcopy, for one), changes the actual output file, even if I tell it to do a
straight copy.

Maybe I'm expecting it to do things differently...

And yes, I do need the GCC support,... I'm waiting hard for that one, and
finding out that the code generated for the SPARC, is still pretty good,
although not quite up to the sparc64 level.

Later-