Re: sh-elf: the substraction of two symbols

Toshi Morita <tm2@best.com> writes:

> As a major user of the sh-elf toolchain, we'd (Sega) actually prefer it
> to use the REL relocation type instead of RELA.
>
> I have received numerous complaints that the relocation info is too
> large due to the usage of the RELA relocation type.

I couldn't do that and also do the fancy relaxation.  There just isn't
enough room to store the required information.

Well, I suppose I could have introduced some extra sections or
something, but relocations are a reasonable place to store this sort
of information.

Why do people care about the size of the relocation info, anyhow?  It
should only matter if they are doing some sort of dynamic loading of
relocatable files.  In that case, they should do something different,
like the MIPS ECOFF embedded-relocs hack.

> Also the Hitachi SHC toolchain uses REL relocations as well
> so it would increase compatibility with other toolchains.

Does that toolchain do the same sorts of relaxation?

Ian