Re: chained AT() in linker scripts?

Todd Whitesel <toddpw@windriver.com> writes:

> If I can't find a way to make these changes submittable soon, then I will
> recommend that all of our future maintenance releases use external linker
> scripts and completely ignore the linker's built-in script. Using a stale
> elf.sc with a newer gcc/binutils is far less likely to blow chunks than
> using a vanilla elf.sc (because our local patches couldn't be submitted).

I believe that you should use a custom linker script anyhow.  elf.sc
is intended to support hosted Unix systems.  You don't have one.  You
don't have to worry about all the craziness in elf.sc.

That said, it would clearly be better if the linker had some syntax
for moving a group of sections.  Perhaps something along the lines of
the overlay syntax would be a good idea, permitting the load address
to be specified for a group of sections as a whole.

It would also be nice to have options like -Ttext which worked for
ELF.  -Ttext doesn't work, because it only sets the address of the
.text section, whereas when using ELF people generally want to set the
address of the text segment.

Ian