Binutils on 4.2

Greetings,

I have managed to compile binutils  2.10.1 on BSDI 4.2.

(I am after this, in the hope that I can get a working gprof out of it, that would let me
profile forked processes).

If anyone is interested, I would be glad to post my patches.

I have ended up with a binutils package that only supports the i386bsd format.
( The 2.9.1 binutils that comes with BSDI 4.2 supports  elf_i386, i386bsdi and  i386coff).

Does anyone have a suggestion what configuration options to use for 2.10.1? to get
elf and coff support?

Also: I am thinking about porting the "latest" glibc. This has some debug/profiling hooks
that another profiling package needs. I am talking about __malloc_hook, __realloc_hook
and __free_hook.

These are missing from all of the stock BSD 4.2 libraries. They are supposed to be in
libc.

Is using a current, GNU glibc instead of the shipping BDSI libc a realistic goal?

/sG