Re: problem building binutils for HPPA on i686

  In message <20010611142717.A14896@tux.yi.org>you write:
  > Hello
  >
  > Over the weekend I created a header file which defines the data
  > structures needed to build the bfd/som.[ch] files without the HPUX
  > system headers.  This header file is based on information in the "32-Bit
  > PA-RISC Run-Time Architecture (HP-UX 11.00)" (rad_11_0_32.pdf) document,
  > available at <URL:http://devresource.hp.com/STK/toc_ref.html#Runtime>.
Cool.  This has been something we've wanted for a while.

  > At the moment objdump is not able to read a som file on a i686 linux due
  > to byte-order problems, adding some bfd_get_32 functions seems to
  > helped.  Is there a better/preferred way to do this?  Also I haven't
  > been able to check if the files still work on a HPUX system.
I'm not terribly surprised about the byte ordering problems.  The som.c
code hasn't ever been looked at from an endianness-clean standpoint nor
from a 32/64bit clean standpoint.

  > Does anybody see any problems with including this header file and
  > changes in binutils?  I know I need to fill out a copyright assignment
  > form.
There shouldn't be any problems since you're implementing the header files
without copying the ones from hpux.  ie, you're implementing them from a
specification.

jeff