PATCH for i386: --no-copy-relocs

Hi List,

as outlined in message http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2000-12/msg00183.html and references, here is my patch to solve the aforementionned problem.

The patch has been extensively tested with our software (several million lines) and has been shipped to customers since march, so I am now trusting it. We compile it in such a way that the --no-copy-relocs option is always on unless the -shared option is active.

Whether we want this mode as default or not is a matter of debate:
This copying of relocations from shared libs into the main executable seems to come from the i386 ABI, no other ABI seems to need it, I don't know if it is a requirement that executables use it. The problem I am solving is a byproduct of its usage.
As an added advantage, the executables made with --no-copy-relocs will start a little bit faster since the dynamic loader will not have to copy the relocations from the shared libraries at starting time.

Jose

no-copy-relocs.patch.gz