Re: linkonce sections, DWARF2 EH, and the ppc failures

On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 08:00:11PM -0700, Geoff Keating wrote:

> I don't believe the original bug report really wanted any particular
> value for the symbol, just for the linker to not crash.

If that's the case, I don't have any objection.  You may like to remove
the lines that "Save away all section symbol values", remove ksec var,
and remove the comment starting "That put the value right.."

> Can anyone think of a better solution?

Emit the eh_frame header and info for non-linkonce functions to
sections .eh_frame1, .eh_frame2, etc., bumping section number whenever
you hit a linkonce function.  linkonce eh info goes to
.gnu.linkonce.eh.*, without it's own header.  Then link with

  .eh_frame :
  {
    *(.eh_frame* .gnu.linkonce.eh.*)
  }

The idea being to actually remove the eh info along with the corresponding
linkonce text, and have the linker put everything else back together.

Oh, and fix the linker so that the above doesn't reorder anything
(linkonce sections currently get moved around, which I believe is a bug),
or plug in inconvenient padding for section alignment.

Alan