Re: binutils 2.11-CVS won't link GCC 3.0-snap's libobjc.so on Red Hat

Alexandre Oliva <aoliva@redhat.com> writes:

> Bootstrapping GCC 3.0's latest snapshot on alphaev6-unknown-linux-gnu
> (Red Hat Linux 7 for alpha) using binutils 2.11's CVS tree failed to
> link libobjc.so as follows:

I suppose you configured GCC with --enable-shared?  The only effect of
this, on most platforms, is to build a shared libobjc which is disabled by
default.

> lt-ld-new: .libs/libobjc.so.1.0.0: Not enough room for program headers (allocated 3, need 4)
> lt-ld-new: final link failed: Bad value
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

The same problem happened on alpha-*-freebsd5.0 after I checked in

After some discussion with Loren Rittle and checking the ld manual, it
became clear that the use of SIZEOF_HEADERS in the elf64alpha linker script
is the culprit, and one of the hints in the ld manual about how to fix this
should be implemented.  Loren agreed to leave the patch in and check with
the FreeBSD binutils maintainers how to fix this.  Loren, did you come to a
conclusion yet?

I suppose this clearly indicates that we need an even stronger warning
about not to use --enable-shared unless you know *exactly* what you're
doing in install.texi?

	Rainer

Rainer Orth, Faculty of Technology, Bielefeld University

Email: ro@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE