Re: RFC: .gnu.linkonce.* and shared libraries

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 02:11:06PM -0700, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com> writes:
>
> > I perhaps have not written it clearly.
> > All of 1)-4) would be done in the static linker, not dynamic linker.
>
> Sorry, I misunderstood.
>
> The only relevant issue then is that your scheme is robust in the face
> of running against a dynamic library which is not the specific one
> which was linked against.

That's why the compiler/programmer has to ask for it explicitely.
As far as I understand C++, having e.g. different vtables in a program would
make it non-conforming. Although the exact content of inline
functions/methods in .gnu.linkonce.t.* sections can change, it needs to be
compiled from the same sequence of tokens, so it should do the same thing.
Languages which don't have such requirements and where this would cause
troubles will just have to avoid using .gnu.linkonce.* sections with
SHF_MERGE flag set.

	Jakub