"--gstabs and certain file names cause assembler error messages"

Hi

   I am using GNU assembler version 2.10 using BFD version 2.10 and I
noticed a very strange bug related to the combination of --gstabs and
file names.

   I have a simple program, `mau.s':
__________________________________
	.text
	.align 4
	.global main
main:
         goto undefined #purposely done
.end
___________________________________

    if I do:

	   as mau.s

    it runs correctly. However, if I do:

            as --gstabs mau.s

    it complains:
  mau.s: Assembler messages:
mau.s:7: Error: local label "0" (instance number 0 of a dollar label) is
not defined

     First, the error message is incorrect since there is such a label.
Second, even though there is an undefined symbol, I do expect the
linker will report the error not the assembler.

     Furthermore, if I change the file name from `mau.s' to `mau_1.s',

     both `as' and `as --gstabs' run correctly and the error disappeared.

     Is the hash table being broken by such a combination?

Thanks

--Xinan