Re: h8300-elf port: gas patches

law@redhat.com writes:

>   > 	(tc_crawl_symbol_chain, tc_headers_hook): Don't define for OBJ_ELF.
>   > 	(tc_reloc_mangle): Likewise.
> And why would we define these to do anything different for ELF?  These seem
> like gratutious changes which serve no meaningful purpose.  Please explain.

Those functions are not used with BFD_ASSEMBLER.  The h8/300 is an old
SAC port which did not use BFD_ASSEMBLER.  Using ELF requires using
BFD_ASSEMBLER.

A slightly cleaner way to make the above change would be to not define
them for BFD_ASSEMBLER.  An even better way would be to first rewrite
the COFF port to use BFD_ASSEMBLER, and then write the ELF port.

Ian