Re: Release 2.12

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> Yes, that part.  And it's certainly not "most".  Consider:
>  - Debian uses them.  That's Chris C.'s decision, and seems to be a
> reasonable one, overall.

I evaluate both the FSF releases and H.J.'s, no matter what.  Mostly, I
use H.J.'s for two reasons: includes the hooks for Compaq demangler
support for their compiler releases for Alpha-Linux and also because
H.J.'s usually include newer fixes from CVS for platforms that Debian has
ports for (such as IA-64, HPPA, and MIPS{el}).

> Because critical bugs are found in the released versions and not fixed.
> GNU Libc, for instance, has an unpleasant habit of depending on
> binutils not-yet-released.  The patches don't tend to be easily
> back-portable for those without a history of binutils experience.  If
> we want to make new programs work, we need to move forward fairly
> frequently, and HJ offers the only way to do that.

Agreed on all points.