Re: PATCH: Enable PIC for mips*-*-*

On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 06:31:34PM +0100, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
> > don't think we made any promise it will always work. FWIW, what is
> > difference between linking against an archive which is not compiled
> > with PIC vs. a .o file which is not compiled with PIC? It has nothing
> > to do with archive.
>
>  No difference.  But since it's not supported, I'd rather not put attempts
> to support it in libtool.  I think a better aproach would be to either

Me either. libtool should never pretends that it knows more than ld.

> build liberty as a shared library, or build it as an archive of PIC

libliberty/pic/libliberty.a is compiled with PIC.

> objects and handle it explicitly in Makefiles for libraries depending on
> it (e.g. via LDADD).

libtool should do whatever ld does. When I do

# gcc -shared -o libfoo.so foo.o -lbar

and there is only libbar.a, no libar.so, ld won't put references to
libbar.a in libfoo.so. I don't want libtool to put any references to
libbar.a in libfoo.la either, at least not under Linux.

H.J.