Re: -retain-symbols-file question

Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com> writes:

> Hi!

Hello.

> --retain-symbols-file only kills .symtab symbols not present in the list,
> but doesn't kill any .dynsym symbols.
> Is that the desired behaviour?
> E.g. libtool trustfully uses --retain-symbols-file when passed
> -export-symbols option.
> Or should libtool just create a version script on the fly?
> Or should there be a different option, like --retain-dynsyms-file which
> would do the same for dynamic symbols?

I don't think the behaviour of --retain-symbols-file should be changed
to also apply to dynamic symbols.  As you note, there is already a
different way to control dynamic symbol visibility, which is to use a
version script.

Creating a version script which simply controls visibility on the fly
is no harder than creating the input file for --retain-symbols-file on
the fly, so I don't see a need for a --retain-dynsyms-file option.
But if people really want it, it's OK with me.

Ian