Re: SHT_GROUP Support in binutils

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 01:03:14PM -0800, Jessica Han wrote:
> Alan,
>   I've noticed that you added SHT_GROUP support into binutils back in Oct
> 2001. Could you please tell me what else is on your list in this area? Are
> you going to provide complete COMDAT support specified by IA64-ABI?

Yes, although it may be a while before I do so.  I didn't do it at first,
because I wasn't certain of the requirements.  If you want to contribute
some code, please go ahead!

> It seems that gas relies on the assembly file to specify what sections form
> a group and what's the name of the group, are those information going to be
> generated by GCC? If so, do you know if anybody is working in this problem?

I started to make changes to gcc to emit the information, mainly with the
idea of splitting up dwarf debugging info and grouping it with a function's
code and data.  That fails because of an unfortunate choice in the sign
of one of the dwarf offset bytes - see
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-bugs/2001-12/msg00314.html

I haven't done anything since then, as it appears gas will need a new
special reloc to handle the subtraction of two syms in dwarf data.
Current diff attached.  Watch out for the dwarf_cie change!  That's just
a temporary hack.

--
Alan Modra
IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre