Re: non coherent options, switches and descriptions

Paul Koning wrote:-

> Incompatible changes that are necessary to add useful new functions
> are one thing; incompatible changes to satisfy some abstract sense of
> CLI esthetics are much harder to justify.

The plan was to drop -V entirely.  If it has some common semantics
elsewhere, e.g. meaning "version number" across GNU utilites, we may
as well use the freed switch to mimic that functionality.  Sorry if
that wasn't clear (I guess I sent the mail to people whom I
anticipated having the background of past discussions about -V,
sorry).

The plan to drop it came from the fact that it breaks all the time; it
certainly broke in 3.0.  If we integrate cpp0 into cc1 for 3.2 it will
likely break again.  This is only for cpp; I'm sure it breaks for
other parts of GCC too.

Neil.