binutils, why default stack size this low ?

> Larger reserves limited the number of threads you could start.  The
> MSVC compiler had a much smaller reserve than Cygwin before the patch.

Right, but this has the bad consequence to break some non-threaded
programs. It was always possible to change the default stack size on the
command line. Of course this is also true for non-threaded programs, but I
think that most of the programs around us do not use threads.

Even on the Ada world, where tasking is part of the language, we have many
programs that do not use tasks (threads), and those who do does not have
enough tasks to break the limit (which is around 35 if my memory
is right).

Pascal Obry.