Re: non coherent options, switches and descriptions

Hi J.G.

> Some have 'OPTION' some have no quotes, some have file(s) some have
> FILEs etc, is it possible to change them all to follow one style?

> I would have thought GNU would have had a doc on this, they seem to
> cover things like this.

I checked, but it does not appear to be covered.

Anyway your email prompted me to have a look at this and to fix up the
--help text for the various binutils so that they all have a similar
style.  All of the programs should now refer to "option(s)" and
"file(s)" and where possible they accept -h or -H as an alias for
--help and -v or -V as an alias for --version.  Well all except the
"ar" program which I have left alone for computability reasons.

Cheers
        Nick

2002-01-23  Nick Clifton  <nickc@cambridge.redhat.com>

	* addr2line.c (usage): Update text to provide verbose
	description of the command line options.
	* ar.c (usage): Update text to provide verbose
	description of the command line options.
	(main): Accept -h and -H when running as ranlib.
	* coffdump.c (show_usage): Update text to provide verbose
	description of the command line options.
	* dlltool.c (main): Accept -H as an alias for --help.
	* nlmconv.c (show_usage): Update text to provide verbose
	description of the command line options.
	* nm.c (usage): Replace OPTIONS with option(s).
	(main): Accept -H as an alias for --help.
	* objcopy.c (strip_main): Accept -H as an alias for --help.
	* objdump.c (main): Accept -v as an alias for --verbose.
        * readelf.c (usage): Adjust format to match style used in
	other binutils.
	* size.c (usage): Update text to provide verbose description
	of the command line options.
	(main): Accept -v, -h and -H as command line options.
	* srconv.c (show_usage): Update text to provide verbose
	description of the command line options.
	* strings.c (main): Accept -H and -v as command line options.
	(usage): Update text to provide verbose description of the
	command line options.
	* sysdump.c (show_usage): Update text to provide verbose
	description of the command line options.
	* windres.c (usage): Adjust format to match style used in
	other binutils.

	* coffdump.c: Fix formatting.
	* nlmconv.c: Fix formatting.
	* srconv.c: Fix formatting.