Relocation Problem

Hello ......
I am working on the 'Retargetable assembler' part of
the technology. I have a few  queries regarding the
'Addend' that is put by the assembler in the
relocation field.

 Here is the problem description -

 1> How assembler calculates 'Addend' for relocatable
expression? ie the value of 'Addend' in RELA
relocation type and 'Addend'  found in the
instruction for REL relocation.

 2> Is the calculation processor specific?

 Pls guide me to some pointers on this - web or
otherwise guidlines.

 Thanks in advance,
 Regards,
 Pallavi Elkawar