initial feedback on *-rtems was [Fwd: binutils 2.12 is approaching]

I am forwarding email from an RTEMS user who responded to my request
to test binutils in anticipation of the branch.

It looks like make doc hits a problem in a
build/bfd/doc/targets.texi.

--- Begin Message ---
Joel Sherrill wrote:

> Hi,
>
> An announcement recently was made to the binutils list that
> an attempt will be made to make a 2.12 branch in the next
> couple of weeks.  Feb 5 was mentioned as the target date.
>
> If anyone wants to step up to the plate and help verify
> that the *-rtems targets are OK, it would be appreciated.

I checked out the binutils source to my RedHat 7.2 Linux system last
night:
CVSROOT=:pserver:anoncvs@sources.redhat.com:/cvs/src cvs co  binutils

Things build properly, but the make install failed on the
documentation.  The build process creates build/bfd/doc/targets.texi
improperly (it creates a @code{xxxxx} directive with a / in place of the
terminating }).  The following script works around this problem.  I
can't imagine this problem being present this late in the development
cycle, so perhaps it's just something wrong with my Linux setup.  I
don't have time to dig any deeper.

Here's the offending line (line 203):
  /* Check the format of a file being read.  Return a @code{bfd_target
*/ or zero.  */
and here's what it looks like after my script fixes it
  /* Check the format of a file being read.  Return a @code{bfd_target
*} or zero.  */

#!/bin/sh

set -ex

for arch in m68k i386 ppc
do
        rm -rf build
        mkdir -p build
        cd build
        ../../src/configure --target=${arch}-rtems --prefix=/opt/rtems
        gmake -w
        gmake -w install || true
        sed '/Check the format of a file being read.  Return a/s/\/ or/}
or/' bfd/doc/targets.texi >jnk
        mv jnk bfd/doc/targets.texi
        gmake -w install
        cd ..
        rm -rf build
done

Running the script gives me a working set of tools:

norume@norum1 230> m68k-rtems-ld --version
GNU ld version 2.11.93 20020131
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms
of
the GNU General Public License.  This program has absolutely no
warranty.

I've used the resulting binutils to build my RTEMS and EPICS
applications.  Everything seems to work.

--
Eric Norum                                 eric.norum@usask.ca
Department of Electrical Engineering       Phone: (306) 966-5394