Re: [patch] binutils current: libiberty/configure and --with-build-subdir

On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 03:21:03PM -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:

> > That is the toplevel Makefile. For the in-tree build, srcdir is always
> > ".". You check if [ "$(srcdir)" = "." ] to see if it is an in-tree
> > build. If it is, you have to duplicate the source tree for the build
> > directory. Otherwise, you don't need to duplicate the source tree. You
> > can use VPATH in this case. Did I miss something?
>
> Ok, I thought you meant that was what you were seeing in libiberty.
> That code is copied verbatim from the target code, and the target
> libiberty builds.  Why is the build code different?

How do you know the target libiberty works? Have you tried it with
gcc? binutils doesn't build the target libiberty when host != build.

> > configure: error: can not find install-sh or install.sh in ./.. ././..
> > make: *** [configure-build-libiberty] Error 1
>
> This message indicates that $(srcdir) is "./." for the
> build-libiberty, which is wrong.  It should include ".." somewhere.
> Probably "../../libiberty".

I don't think so. The problem is you only duplcate libiberty. But to
configure libiberty, you need some other topleve files/directories.
That is why install.sh can't be found. You basically did

# cd obj-i686-pc-linux/libiberty
# copy ../../libiberty .
# ./configure .....

How can it work? Please try it yourself. You will see what I mean.

H.J.