Re: cygwin issues with 2.12 (was Re: Branching for 2.12)

On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 08:47:41PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 01:37:44AM -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> >> Ok, I've rebuilt and confirmed that a link of gdb.exe now works.
> >>
> >> Attempting to rebuild the Cygwin DLL (winsup/cygwin) or any C++
> >> utilities in winsup/utils seems to fail.
> >>
> >> So, it looks like a c++ issue, maybe?  I rebuilt the entire toolchain
> >> with a very recent gcc + binutils + ld + gas and the link step failed.
> >> If I attempt to do the final link with an older toolchain, it works
> >> fine.
> >>
> >> So, it seems like ld or maybe collect2 (?) is the culprit?
> >
> >Maybe I'm just dense.  I did a clean build, from a partially-combined
> >tree of CVS head GCC and binutils.  I built newlib, winsup, and all the
> >utils (cygcheck.exe etc.).  They all linked using the cygwin-targetted
> >assembler and self-built cygwin DLLs.
> >
> >Sorry, but to continue any further I need more information.
>
> I don't have any to offer, unfortunately.  can.  Perhaps you could be
> more specific about what information you require?
>
> Do you want me to send you object files?  Stub libraries?
>
> Just to be clear, I'm doing this all on linux.  Your mention of DLLs
> makes me think that you are possibly doing this on Windows although
> that's probably just a terminology problem since you don't normally use
> DLLs in linking.

Sorry, getting confused with some MinGW stuff, I think.  I built a
cross tree (somewhat carefully, since I do not have GCC and binutils
checked out in the same tree - I might have messed something up, I'll
try it again).  I built all-target-newlib and all-target-winsup for
i386-pc-cygwin on an i386-linux host.  For whatever reason this
configuration chooses not to build any of the C++ applications in
winsup/utils/, so I fudged my configuration until it did.  They all
compiled without error.

Could you do a clean build in a combined tree, ....

Or, having just gotten your other message, I guess we're good.  Thanks,
one more thing off the list.