pdp11 target patches

I have a collection of fixes/improvements to the PDP11 target support
that Lars Brinkhoff started.  They'll follow in a couple of separate
messages (one per component).

Lars has reviewed them, but neither he nor I have maintainer rights so
someone else will have to give the final OK and commit them if it all
looks ok.

The copyright assignment paperwork is in place.

    paul