Re: remote linking.

Hi Alan,

On Fri, May 10, 2002 at 12:12:08PM +0930, Alan Modra wrote:
> On Fri, May 10, 2002 at 12:20:58AM +0300, Elias Athanasopoulos wrote:
> >  % gcc -static foo.c -L192.168.1.2:/usr/lib/ -lbar -o foo
>
> Sorry, I don't think such a feature makes any sense.  You can nfs
> mount remote directories if you want to do this.

You are right, because I didn't explain anything about the benefits
and the usage of what I suggested. I use NFS in my LAN (FreeBSD, Linux)
and I can compile/link a project using the resources of the other
machine, but remote linking is quite more generic (actually the idea came
up from NFS).

Consider there is a "library server". A machine that hosts various libs
of differents versions. Everyone can use this machine and be able to
compile/run everything he/she needs in his/her system, without having to
upgrade tens of libraries. You just need an Internet connection,
the source of the project and permission to use the resources of the
library server.

I'm writting a full proposal. If you are interested I can send it to
you.

Elias

--
http://gnewtellium.sourceforge.net			MP3 is not a crime.