Re: bfd.h installation location

On May 15, 2002, Alan Modra <amodra@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> b) install normally when host == target, and install as
> $target_alias-libbfd.a and $target_alias-bfd.h etc. otherwise.

I like it, but I'd rather have target_alias in directories, instead of
modifying the filenames, for two reasons:

i) when you include <bfd.h>, tweaking that to include <target-bfd.h>
conditionally would be painful, and

ii) getting SONAMEs and whatnot right when renaming libbfd at install
time would be insane, and we don't want to rename libbfd in the build
tree.

So, I'd rather install libbfd in $(libdir)/x-$(target_alias) and bfd.h
in $(includedir)/x-$(target_alias).

Then, it's always safe to add -I$(includedir)/x-$(target_alias)
-L$(libdir)/x-$(target_alias) to the build flags of packages that
assume a pre-installed bfd; even if they link with a host-x-host
toolchain, they'll find the right files (assuming it also has
-I$(includedir) and -L$(libdir)).

That said, I'm not sure cross bfd headers and libraries would be of
much use, so perhaps we could safely go with (a) and see whether
anyone complains before introducing the x-$(target_alias) precedent.