deeper understanding of ld

Hi,

I think I need to go deeper into gnu-ld... That's my problem:

When I compile an XServer from scratch with make World everything goes
fine until I try to start it.

Newer versions of XFree are shipped with modules linked by

	ld -r -o module.o foo.o bar.o ...

When the XFree86 program tries to load these modules it gets errors like

Not loading .rodata.str1.1
Not loading .rodata.str1.32
Not loading .rodata.cst4
	... more following

resulting finally in unresolved symbols concerning the module object.

This may result from following system specifics on my machine:
	A) libc goes in /glibc225 --> compiler specs are modified to
	accomplish this.
	B) binutils go in /binutils, while the path is set there.
	C) gcc go in /gcc and is an experimental gcc-3.2

Another problem is, that the NVidia libGLcore.so, loaded with glx.so
shipped by NVidia to support OpenGL with their GeForce cards reports an
undefined symbol __divdi3.  Since I cannot recompile libGLcore.so due to
missing sources, I need a technique how I can export the
__dvidi symbols from libgcc.a, so that libGLcore.so can see them.

The RELNOTES for the XServer says that it uses system independent
metroworks module loader mechanism.  But since the XFree86 executable is
linked against libdl.so I don't believe that statement.

I hope that anybody in here can help me a bit further.  It may be enough
to give me some tips for experiments.  I don't need complete solutions.

TIA
BYE INGO