Re: bfd.h installation location

On 19 May 2002, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> > This seems to work OK.  Besides implementing your suggestion, I've
> > changed the non-native install location from that in the last patch
> > $(exec_prefix)/$(target_alias)/$(host_alias)/{lib,include} to
> > $(exec_prefix)/$(host_alias)/$(target_alias)/{lib,include} as that
> > seems more natural to me.  $(exec_prefix)/blah has libs for blah in
> > it..
>
> Thanks, that makes sense.  I find it a bit confusing because
> exec_prefix already carries the host type with it, either implicitly
> (in that you shouldn't use the same exec-prefix for different host
> types) or explicitly (in our builds,

 You have $(exec_prefix)/$(host_alias) for $(tooldir) anyway, even though
$(host_alias) is somehow implied.

> --exec-prefix=${prefix}/H-${host_alias}), but your new implementation
> definitely makes more sense than the earlier version.

 I wouldn't tell it makes more sense either way.  For the former approach,
you get all target-related objects grouped below
$(exec_prefix)/$(target_alias).  For the latter -- you get host-related
objects below $(exec_prefix)/$(host_alias).  The difference is marginal.
I chose the former one as it makes cross-binutils files more tightly
grouped.