Re: DEVELOPERS NEEDED IMMEDIATELY FOR MINGW32 ALTERNATE C RUNTIME LIBRARY PROJECT

On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 10:14:43PM +0100, Neil Booth wrote:

> I'm not sure I would find the changes to the preprocessor palatable to
> make this possible.  For example, MS's ?$%@&^ header files require the
> ability to macro-paste two '/'s and comment out the rest of the line.

I agree that this, and other outright bugs in their compiler, are not
something we wish to support.  It would be better to deal with them in
the fixincludes framework.

> > - Patches to GCC to support #import directive
>
> GCC already has a #import directive which means something quite
> different, based on my reading of MS's documentation.  The existing
> meaning of #import already has many users, particularly in the
> Objective C community.

It appears to be totally unambiguous from the code when the Microsoft
semantics are desired, instead of the existing semantics; however, the
amount of code required to implement Microsoft's semantics would be
substantial, and inappropriate for inclusion in the compiler itself.

I would be willing to consider a patch that caused us to recognize an
attempt to #import a DLL, possibly with additional directives after
the pathname, and invoked a separate executable to process the
request.  That program would produce an appropriate sequence of
declarations which GCC could read in as text, via a pipe or temporary
file.

zw