Determining function syms in coff - how?

I'm working on a binary analyzer which needs to collect
information about procedures.  The tool currently relies on
checking bfd's BSF_FUNCTION symbol flag to locate these function
symbols.  This seems to work well for every flavor of ELF I've
tried.

However, for COFF on Alpha (specifically, ecoff-littlealpha),
function symbols do not have BSF_FUNCTION set.  Is this a
known defect in the ecoff-littlealpha back-end?  Or is this
the expected behavior of all COFF back-ends?  If it is the
expected behavior, is there a simple and reliable way of
having bfd inform me that a symbol in COFF is a function
symbol?

Thanks, Jason Eckhardt.