Re: RFC & patch: Rework MIPS command-line handling

"Mark D. Baushke" <mdb@gnu.org> writes:
> IMO, a warning would be better than silently switching the -mabi=32 in
> the case of an -march=R3000 arg on a toolchain that defaults to using a
> 64-bit ABI. It should only be an error if the user specifies -Werror
> too.

If we issue a warning when implicitly changing ABI, I think we should
deprecate it too.  It's the kind of warning that would trigger for
every gcc invocation in a typical build.  I think most people would
shut it up by specifying the ABI explicitly.

> What should be done in with a command line that specified -march=R3000
> -mabi=64 ? Should it generate an error and bailout? Or should it also
> just be a warning that gets promoted to error on -Werror?

FWIW, I think it should be an error.  We'd have to ignore one option
or the other.  The patch I sent would give an error in this case, and
-mips1 -mabi=64 would give an error before the patch too.

Richard