Re: RFC & patch: Rework MIPS command-line handling

On 15 Jul 2002 cgd@broadcom.com wrote:

> There's use for it: people building e.g. userland binary distributions
> would want it, and would encourage users building e.g. RPMs to use it
> so they didn't have to remember the exact ISA to use to get things
> right.

 The distributions are the least trouble.  If sane, they have a global
configuration file that specifies various options, including C flags.
E.g. I have all configurations set up in ~/.rpmrc and it currently
includes appropriate flags for "alpha", "i386", "i486", "i586", "i686" and
"mipsel".  Depending on which of these CPUs I select when building a
package, the toolchain receives appropriate flags.  Of course, a package
built for "i686" might not necessarily run on an i386 CPU (and at least
one distribution I know of makes an active use of this property).

 Since my "mipsel" configuration has to run on an R3400 chip, it only
specifies "-pipe -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer", but if I needed an entry for a
better MIPS CPU entry I would simply add it.