Re: PATCH: Update E_MIP_ARCH_XXX (Re: [patch] linux: RFC:elf_check_arch()rework)

I've now heard a bit of the history from Nigel at Algorithmics, and to summarize, they chose the 6 and 7 values for MIPS32/64 after Cygnus, who were also producing a MIPS32/64 toolchain, had chosen these. (Algor had originally used the value of 5 for MIPS32, but had to changed when both SGI (who assigned it to something else) and Cygnus chose otherwise). Hence ARCH_ALGOR_32.

A little research also reveals that the value of 5 for ARCH_32 was first checked into CVS in Dec 2000 by Nick Clifton at Redhat.

Anyway, that's why things are the way they are, but may not help much as to a resolution :(

My personal take on this is that the two main commercial providers (Cygnus and Algor) of MIPS32/64-capable GNU toolchains have been using 6 & 7 for quite a while, SGI "agree", and that this is quite a precedent. Hopefully the ABI process will soon shake any other issues out too.

/Dan

--
Dan Temple, Eng. Mgr.     Tel: +45-44865512
  MIPS Denmark              Fax: +45-44865556