Re: The new mips gas breaks gcc 2.96

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, H. J. Lu wrote:

> >  How about adding a translation from "-mcpu=x" to "-march=x -mtune=x" to
> > your gcc's specs?  It should be the least maintenance trouble and is
> > probably the right solution for an obsolete compiler.
>
> I can't force it for all the users of my Linux binutils. Besides, until
> gcc 3.2 is stable enough, I won't obsolete my gcc 2.96.

 You may state an appropriate version of your gcc 2.96 is needed for MIPS
starting from version x of your binutils.  You may even check it at the
configure time.  It's a reasonable assumption -- you don't force all the
users of your binutils to upgrade them, either, so they may either stick
to versions they have now or upgrade both packages at the same time.
AFAIK, up to 3.x gcc didn't support MIPS/Linux out of the box anyway, so
patches for it are needed anyway.

 Anyway, do as you want to, as long as nobody complains here of binutils
as distributed by FSF not working with gcc 2.96...