Re: Annoying objcopy message

Hi H.J.

> I haven't looked at the binary target closely. Does it support the
> notion of "architecture"?

No.

> What does it do with "architecture?"

Nothing.  There is no concept of an architecture associated with a
"binary" file, (or an "ihex" file for that matter).

> The most importantly, can "binary" represent architecture UNKNOWN?

No - there is no such architecture as "UNKOWN".  The warning message you
are seeing is unhelpful.

  objcopy -Iihex xxx -Obinary xxx.gz
  objcopy: Warning: Output file cannot represent architecture UNKNOWN!

This should really be:

  objcopy -Iihex xxx -Obinary xxx.gz

(ie no warning at all).  Since both the input format and the output
format do not have architectures associated with them, there is
nothing to warn about.

Cheers
        Nick