While we are discussing new ports... :)

Hello,

Since we are into this new target discussion, I'd like to ask about the status of the new tic4x patch? I submitted a patch one week ago and haven't heard a thing since that :) A simple acknowledge in the form of "yes, approved & applied" or "no, we would prefer to wait until all files of your patch is ready" would be nice, please.... :)

(If there anyone uncertain about this, please go to the project's homepage http://www.elec.canterbury.ac.nz/c4x -- c4x support for gcc has existed for quite some time now.)

We have chosen COFF as the format on the Texas Instruments C3x/C4x processor series. One of the reasons is that the native TI tools is speaking COFF. But I would reccommend ELF on new targets.

I think it's great that someone (TM) is working on a MCS-51 port!! There are *many* occations where I wish I had a gcc/binutils MCS-51 compiler.

BTW, are you aware of the small device c compiler package: http://sdcc.sourceforge.net/ I'm uncertain if the binutils functionality (like as, ld, etc) is included in the sdcc package, or if they rely on 3rd party tools. But IMHO I would prefer that sdcc would merge with gcc/binutils somehow. I'd rather have and use binutils/gcc over sdcc, because of the same reasons that I prefer avr-gcc instead of commercial c-compilers (I wont list the reasons here).

Svein