Re: Problems assembling TI-style code with ARM-coff assembler

On Thursday, August 22, 2002, at 12:20 PM, Nick Clifton wrote:

asm (" 	.ref _entrytable		");
asm ("  .field _entrytable,32	");
Hmm, no idea about these two.  You will have to try to work out what
they do from the context of how they are used.
.ref is equivalent to .global for most scoping purposes. The TI docs are vague about the differences; one is supposed to mean "I'm importing a global symbol" and the other says "I'm exporting", but the differences in practice appear to be minimal.

".field <symbol>,32" is a definition for a 32-bit field, and can be replaced with whatever the ARM assembler wants for a 32-bit word. Semantics vary for how fields smaller than 32 bits are packed into words.

Take a look at the TI 'c54x port, as Tim Wall has done a nice job of emulating TI's extended assembler syntax. A good portion of the code could be shared, especially if there is an easy way of detecting an ARM target using TI assembler syntax.

--
Charles Lepple <clepple@ghz.cc>
http://www.ghz.cc/charles/