Re: H8 targets.

In message <E04CF3F88ACBD5119EFE00508BBB2121042BF27B@exch-01.noida.hcltech.com>
, "Nitin Gupta, Noida" writes:
 >Thanks a lot for your patch.
 >

 >> The only problem with changing things now is that you'll make the GNU
 >> tools incompatible with previous releases of the GNU tools.
 >> Then again,
 >> it's probably still the right thing to do, but it'll need to
 >> be clearly
 >> documented in the release notes for the binutils release
 >> where the change
 >> becomes effective.
 >>
 >> I've got these changes sitting in my local tree -- I haven't
 >> looked at them
 >> in any detail in nearly a year, but they may be useful to
 >> anyone trying to
 >> fix this little problem.
 >>

 >Without this patch the third party debuggers (e.g. HDI)
 >may fail to recognize the binary generated by h8300-elf-gcc.
 >The patch is running fine for me. After applying the same
 >patch to gdb, the h8300-elf-run also executes the binaries
 >gracefully.
Yes, but with the patch the GNU tools won't be able to interoperate with
objects built by earlier releases of the tools.

I wonder if we could actually use both schemes and keep compatibility
with both 3rd party tools as well as earlier versions of the GNU tools.

First we look at the ELF_MACHINE bits.  If it's EM_H8_300H or EM_H8S, then
we're done.  If the machien id is EM_H8_300, then we peek at the flags bits.
If the flag bugs are set, then we use them to set the machine type, if the
flag bits are not set, then we're plain H8/300.

Thoughts?

jeff