Re: Future plans for gprof

Andrew Cagney wrote:

> The problem is, gprof is partly in binutils, and partly in glibc.
> The glibc maintainer is very, very picky about what patches
> he'll accept.  In particular, he has not yet accepted the perfectly
> reasonable patch
>   http://www.kegel.com/gmon.patch
> which fixes support for large programs.  I haven't tried hard
> enough to get it accepted; perhaps some readers of this list
> could advise me on how to proceed.

I don't know that the above patch is `perfectly reasonable' :-) It
modifies a gprof data structure in a way that makes it incompatible with
every other gprof implementation (all the ones I've seen came from the
same source).  I think it would be better to define a new data
structures that could handle this.

Hi Andrew,
thanks for replying.  I'm not sure it causes any incompatibility.
I'm pretty sure you don't need to recompile gprof after this patch;
gprof compiled before the patch works fine with user executables
compiled with a patched glibc.  The patch doesn't affect the format
of data on disk.

Can you be more precise about how this patch causes an incompatibility?
Consider programs that are accesing that data (which sits in a library) directly (not written to disk). They will be affected.

Andrew