Re: gas testsuite approch

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Svein E. Seldal wrote:
> Take the all/gas.exp test, the "x930509.s" sub-test for example. This
> test is rather simple and the objective is to calculate the difference
> of two (forward) addresses. On a byte-based target, like i386, the
> result of this subtraction will be 4.
>
> However, on a target like the tic4x, the CPU is unaware of bytes
> (sizeof(char)=sizeof(long)=1=32-bits), and will result in the value of 1
> which will make the test fail because the test expects 4.
>
> What will be the best approach to fix this problem?

You don't mention the "prior art" xfails in
gas/testsuite/gas/all/gas.exp so perhaps you haven't looked
there.  It seems the sentence "C30 counts a four byte offset as
a difference of one" matches your case too.  If you xfail that
test and add it but modified for your target to your
target-specific test-suite, I think nothing would be lost
test-wise.  If you don't like that approach, I think you're
facing larger changes.

brgds, H-P