Re: gas testsuite approch

You don't mention the "prior art" xfails in
gas/testsuite/gas/all/gas.exp so perhaps you haven't looked
there.  It seems the sentence "C30 counts a four byte offset as
a difference of one" matches your case too.  If you xfail that
test and add it but modified for your target to your
target-specific test-suite, I think nothing would be lost
test-wise.  If you don't like that approach, I think you're
facing larger changes.
Yes, I get your point.

But when I look at the existing tests, some target excludes the test entirely, while others uses XFAIL. Take the c30 target as an example. It does not xfail it - it simply skips the test. Which method should I use?

Take this x930509.s test as an example. I can either XFAIL it or I can exclude the test (as the *c54x*-*-* has done). (I will i either case repeat this test modified for this target later, anyhow.)

Regards,
Svein