Re: Get rid of underscore.c

On 12 Sep 2002 19:42:36 +0100, Nick Clifton <nickc@redhat.com> wrote:

> But why should G++ have its own demangler ?  Why not use the binutils one
> ?  (Possible answer: because the G++ guys want to control the demangler ?)

Precisely.  The demangler frequently needs to change to reflect changes in
the compiler.  If the demangler is part of the compiler package, updating
one involves updating the other.  If it's in binutils, that means I need to
update binutils to deal with a compiler issue, something I currently only
do every few months.  My life was made easier when c++filt moved to gcc.

Why should binutils have its own demangler?

Jason