Re: PATCH: Set xfail on empic for Linux/mips

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 04:30:23PM -0700, cgd@broadcom.com wrote:
> At Mon, 30 Sep 2002 14:17:16 -0700, H. J. Lu wrote:
> > Since Linux doesn't use embedded pic, I set them xfail on Linux/mips.
> > I will set they pass when they are fixed.
>
> uh, if you're going to do that, why not just avoid testing them on
> Linux/mips to begin with.

I can certainly do that.

> By setting them XFAIL, what'll happen is that they're broken one way
> now, and future changes will cause them to be broken in additional
> ways in the future, and somebody who's looking at it N months from now
> won't be able to tell one from the other.

I have no problem if embedded PIC remains broken.

> What you're proposing here amounts to saying "They don't work for me
> right now, so the test is wrong and will be marked expected to fail."

Linux/mips does't use embedded PIC.

> Except, that's not the reality.  These tests are recently broken.
> They used to work.  They should work.  If the new assembler linker is
> correct, the tests should be adjusted.  If not, there is a real bug.
> They _should not_ however, be marked XFAIL and be left alone.

You are more than welcome to fix them. I don't want to see those
misleading testcases which Linux/mips doesn't use.

> > FYI, Chris, ld-mips-elf/mips-elf.exp passed for ELF/mips for me now.
> > I took a look at the tests. They are ELF/mips specific. There is no
> > way they can pass for Linux/mips, ASIS.
>
> Uh, only for values of the words "no way" that indicate "a way".  8-)
>
> I hacked the ld-mips-elf/mips-elf.exp list like:
>
> just to see how things would go.
>
> Granted, region1 and the branch-misc-N tests did not in fact pass.
>
> However, mips16-1 actually _did_ pass as-is.
>
> failed with: <./ld-new: tmpdir/dump: Not enough room for program headers (allocated 3, need 4)
> ./ld-new: final link failed: Bad value>, expected: <>
>
> 	(which really seems like a bug to me, but "whatever.")

It is because those tests are ELF/mips specific. Linux/mips uses different MIPS
targets and linker scripts. You can't depend on the builtin linker scripts for
those tests if you want them to pass on both ELF/mips and Linux/mips. As I said,
I don't care much about embedded PIC.

H.J.