Re: Maintainermode/make dep-am trouble

Nick Clifton wrote:
Basically you are either going to want to configure and build with
--enable-maintainer-mode enabled, or else run "automake" by hand after
modifying the Makefile.am file.
It seems to me this maintainer mode is a stange beast. I have downloaded and installed the four special packages from the binutils ftp-site. What I want to do is simply to rebuild the regenerateable files from the changes I've made (gas/Makefile.am in this case). Personally, I would prefer to run make dep-am to ensure that the correct files are rebuilt.

(I think I will run these tools manually in the future, as I seem to be unable to resolve this thing myself. But my problem is that I dont know what files need rebuilding and which tools are used to rebuild them. I know that Automake.am generates Automake.in with automake, and configure from configure.in with autoconf, but AFAIK there can be other relations I am unaware of, right? Are there a central config-file that I can grep to learn of these relations?)

However, I am unable to get neither maintainer mode working nor the make dep-am mode up and running. I've tried 16 (!) permuations of configure and build directories with maintainer mode on/off, target tic4x/all and in source compilation vs. separate build dir on both linux (rh7.3) and cygwin. No one of these 16 tests works.

If I run make dep-am on a non maintainer confiuration, it fails because of some DEP - DEP1 failure.

<lots and lots of other errors>
gcc: config/e-mipsecoff.c: No such file or directory
gcc: config/e-mipself.c: No such file or directory
gcc: No input files
make[1]: *** [DEP1] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/sveinse/tic4x/src.tic4x/gas'
make: *** [DEP] Error 2

If I run make dep-am on a maintainer config, it fails because of this:

119 sveinse@stardust ~/tic4x/src.tic4x.mt/gas$ make dep-am
cd . && aclocal
cd . && automake --cygnus Makefile
cd . && autoconf
configure.in:12: AC_TRY_COMPILE was called before AC_ISC_POSIX
configure.in:12: AC_TRY_RUN was called before AC_ISC_POSIX
autoconf: Undefined macros:
***BUG in Autoconf--please report*** AC_FD_MSG
***BUG in Autoconf--please report*** AC_FD_CC
***BUG in Autoconf--please report*** AC_FD_MSG
<and so on...>

I would be nice to get some pointers here...

Regards,
Svein