Problem with VFP indication in ARM objects

I have a dilemma...

NetBSD/arm ELF uses VFP-format soft-FP, and modern gas can mark objects
as such...

However, the 2.11.2 gas could not mark objects as such...

"Guess which version of gas is currently used in NetBSD."

I need to come up with a solution which allows me to link objects which
are properly marked as "soft-VFP" with objects which are not (the objects
in question unfortunately lack both flags, so appear as "hard-FPA").

Anyone have suggestions of how I can lessen my pain?  Am I stuck with
a flag-day?