How can I change a global symbol to local?

Hi all :
            Is there any method to change a global symbol to local in an
static library?
            My platform is RedHat7.2. Using gcc 3.2 and ld 2.11.90.0.8.
            Now I should link 2 static libraries to one binary and all
process should not use shared library. In the 2
libraries there are few symbols shareing the same name. So ld will show
warning "multiple definition". It looks
 like very hard to strip one given name symbol from one static library.
Also strip symbol will affect the binary's
debug. So my goal is just changing one symbol from global to local. Is
there any possibility of implementing it
without any platform or tools update?
           Thanks all very much. Any feedback is welcome.

Best Regards
ShiYi Ma

--
Milkyway R&D