Documenting partial builds (Was Re: ^c now disallowed?)

DJ said:
>I think a better solution to support is documenting how to do a
>partial configure/build without needing the ctrl-c.  So that you'd
>just say "make all-this all-that" and know that it's doing the right
>minimal set of rules.

Now that I've autoconfiscated the top level, this is my next project.
(I'll get back to cleaning up the top level, but I'll do this first.)

The big question is, *where* should this be documented?  I can document
the toplevel Makefile interface quite clearly, but I'm very unsure where
to put said documentation; should I duplicate it in the docs for each
package (and if so, where in those docs)?  Put it in some special
location?  What?

--Nathanael