Re: On resolving the MIPS gas branch reloc issue

> > in other words, you've _created_ a new element of an ABI.
>
> I implemented it in the way it should have been long before.

Thanks.

> > Otherwise, it'll be implemented, and somebody'll
> > change their mind about how it should work, and then some significant
> > have the ABI change out from under them.
>
> That's IMHO pretty unlikely, given that MIPS Corp. "owns" the ABI
> and they agree on this interpretation of the Spec.

Nah. I'd fully believe that they'd change the ABI here. There should be
at least some... official document out of MIPS with these changes. I
doubt I'll see it though.

> The alternative would be to simply allow the GNU extension reloc for the
> other ABIs, but then GNU binutils won't be compatible to other toolchains.
> I forgot to mention that the SDE MIPS Tools (formerly Algorithmics, now
> AFAIK the official MIPS toolchain) have used R_MIPS_PC16 for years in the
> way my patch does now for binutils.

I care less about compatibility with other tools than doing the right
thing here. Why don't we have a friendly local MIPS licensee talk to
them?

-eric

--
o/~ Cry havoc... o/~