Re: Bump mainline version number

Alan Modra <amodra@bigpond.net.au> writes:

> On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 07:19:52PM +0100, Nick Clifton wrote:
>> Hi Zack,
>>
>> > http://www.panix.com/~zackw/exbib/2002/June/20#1445
>> > http://www.panix.com/~zackw/exbib/2002/June/30#1150
>
> Hmm, the trouble with Zack's position is that we have people making
> releases from the development branch, eg. HJ's linux binutils.

HJ's releases should be distinguished by *name* and have a totally
separate version number:
"binutils-linux 1.3 (based on binutils 2.15 20030504)"
Yes, it really should print all that text on --version.

(It's not clear to me why he is still doing his releases when 2.14.0
works just fine on linux, but that's a separate issue.)

> We also have shared libs and we want version numbers to be
> monotonic.

Sonames have no relation to their packages' version numbers, and since
they should only change when the ABI changes incompatibly, they should
only have one number: the major version.  In other words, call it
libbfd0, and every time you break the ABI bump that number.  If that
means you wind up with libbfd347 in short order, that's what it's
gotta be.

(I don't think shared libraries should be used *at all* unless one is
prepared not to change their ABI ever again, but that's a separate
issue.)

zw