Re: How to add a new target in BFD?

Nick Clifton wrote:
You will also need to create files in the opcodes/ directory, but you
may want to use the CGEN tool in order to do this:

Or you might not want to use CGEN. It is a fairly nice tool for assisting binutils/simulator ports, but there are serious political problems with it.

The tool is proprietary to Red Hat. Red Hat has shown no inclination to donate it to the FSF, and Red Hat has an uncertain long term commitment to maintaining it. Red Hat hasn't been demanding copyright assignments for cgen contributions. And since it isn't an FSF tool, you can't give the FSF copyright assignments for it. This means that the current practice of putting FSF copyrights into cgen output is suspect. The FSF doesn't own the cgen output since it doesn't own the cgen input. Only the people who own the copyrights to the cgen input can contribute the cgen output to the FSF. Also, the GPL requires that you distribute the "preferred form of the work for making modifications". For cgen generated binutils ports, that means the cgen *.cpu input file. If you are distributing binutils sources, and you are not distributing cgen sources, one could argue that you are violating the GPL.

This issue was ignored for a long time because most binutils maintainers worked for Red Hat (formerly Cygnus). However, now that most binutils maintainers are outside Red Hat, I think it is something we should be concerned about. I think it would be reasonable for binutils to refuse to accept any more cgen generated ports until such time that Red Hat agrees to donate cgen to the FSF to solve this problems. If people aren't willing to go that far, then at the minimum I think we need to move all *.cpu input files from cgen to binutils, so that there are no copyright problems for these files.

Jim