Re: How to add a new target in BFD?

On Thu, 2003-05-08 at 20:22, DJ Delorie wrote:
> The tool is GPL and in the same public cvs repository as binutils.
> How can that be proprietary?  It even has a special exception for cgen
> output files.

In the FSF sense, it is proprietary to Red Hat because the FSF doesn't
own it.  Red Hat hasn't submitted the tool to the FSF because it
believes that it gives them a proprietary advantage over other
competitors.  That is fine for Red Hat, but it is not in the best
interests of the FSF.  I also believe it is not in the best interests of
Red Hat, but I doubt that I can ever win that argument.

There is also the matter that it is FSF policy to avoid reliance on code
owned by others.  FSF policy is very clear in this area.  I think having
an FSF binutils maintainer promoting use of non-FSF owned code for
binutils ports is questionable policy.

> > then at the minimum I think we need to move all *.cpu input files
> > from cgen to binutils,
>
> We're already doing that.

It hasn't happened yet as far as I can tell.  Also, not everyone has
agreed to this yet, particularly the cgen maintainers.  That may create
future problems.  Thus, I feel it is necessary to continue to push on
this issue.

Jim